The Greater Ohio Policy Center seeks qualified candidates to fill the Research Intern position. The description below is also available on the Job Opportunities page in PDF format.
Qualified candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Thank you for your interest in GOPC.
Intern, Research & Conference Support
Greater Ohio Policy Center
Candidate Position Description
The Greater Ohio Policy Center (GOPC) seeks an intern to assist GOPC in championing revitalization and sustainable growth in Ohio. This position will provide research support to senior staff and assist with preparing for a large conference that will occur in March 2017. GOPC seeks an intern who is interested in urban revitalization issues, such as brownfield site remediation, water and sewer infrastructure, transportation, and housing.
This position is part-time (15 hours/week) and will begin in mid-August and will end in late December 2016 (i.e. Fall 2016 semester).
Intern will work under the direction of the Senior Policy Fellow and the Urban Revitalization Project Specialist. Intern will report to the Deputy Director.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
This position will be responsible for the following activities:
- Undertake directed research to assist GOPC’s mid-level and senior staff in carrying out high-quality research projects
- Support senior staff in raising GOPC’s public profile by preparing select research, talking points and memos for speaking engagements and other outreach opportunities
- Aid in planning and taking notes at meetings related to research project development and implementation
- Assist GOPC’s communications staff in growing GOPC’s supporter base
- Effectively advocate on GOPC’s issues in a bipartisan and non-partisan manner in all settings and situations
Percentages below denote an approximation of the amount of time the Intern, Research and Conference Support would spend on each major job duty.
Research and Project Assistance (75%)
- Undertake select research under direction of senior staff that contributes to GOPC’s outreach efforts, and policy and advocacy work; support project managers in carrying out research projects, such as investigating different financing models and developing policy recommendations
- Provide research support through: basic Census and ACS data gathering and graphing, literature scans and reviews, select interviews, and other information gathering activities
- Must be a critical reader, thinker, and writer who is able to summarize key takeaways and can effectively communicate these takeaways in written memos and in meetings
Conference Planning and Organizational Support (25%)
- Assist senior and mid-level staff with planning and organizing the GOPC Policy Summit in March 2017 and other convenings, roundtables, and large events. Responsibilities may include:
- Assist with tracking panel development and panelist confirmations; assist with finalizing contact and biography information of panelists
- Assist with printing and organizing conference
- Assist with preparing Awards Ceremony
- Assist senior staff with scheduling meetings with stakeholders and other partners
- Other relevant duties as assigned
- Minimum 2 years of college experience
- Interest in cities and revitalization. Coursework in urban and regional planning, public policy, or social sciences preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word strongly preferred. Experience with Adobe InDesign or other visual design programs preferred, not required
- Must be strong writer
- Must exhibit high degree of professionalism appropriate for high level partners
- Must be extremely detail-oriented
Required Application Materials
- Cover letter (generic cover letters and resumes will not be seriously considered)
- One writing sample available upon request
- Contact information for three references, including at least one academic reference
Send cover letter and resume to Jon Honeck, PhD, Senior Policy Fellow, email@example.com.
Other Job Information
- The Greater Ohio Policy Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Intern is expected to work in the GOPC office in Columbus during normal business hours (8a-5p).
- Qualified candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
This is an hourly employee position, with estimated rate of $10-$14/hour, depending on experience and qualifications.
About the Organization
The mission of the Greater Ohio Policy Center is to champion revitalization and sustainable growth in Ohio.
Greater Ohio Policy Center (GOPC) is a mission-driven non-profit, non-partisan organization based in Columbus and operating statewide. GOPC develops and advances policies and practices that value our urban cores and metropolitan regions as economic drivers and preserve Ohio’s open space and farmland.
Through education, research and outreach, GOPC strives to create a political and policy climate that advances economic growth through urban revitalization, modernized transportation options, improvements to infrastructure, and talent development and retention within the state.